Frequently Asked Questions


Find answers and general information quickly about Community Supervision & Corrections Department's programs and procedures.

What is the difference between “community supervision” and “probation?"
The name “Adult Probation Department” was changed for all departments in the state of Texas to “Community Supervision and Corrections Department." The State Legislature also changed the terms “probation” and “Probation Officer” to “community supervision” and “Community Supervision Officer”.
What is the difference between “community supervision" and “parole?"
Parole is a period of supervision following release from prison. Community Supervision is an alternative to a prison term. An individual who has been adjudicated by the court for a criminal offense can have the sentence set aside within guidelines, and placed on “Community Supervision."
What happens to people placed on “Community Supervision?"
The sentencing court will order numerous programs and stipulations to which the individual must complete and adhere. They will be required to meet with their Community Supervision Officer regularly. The number of contacts is determined by the level of supervision or is set by the court. Most individuals are required to submit to urinalysis testing to ensure that the offender is not abusing drugs. The stipulations and programs can include treatment for substance abuse or programs for specific offenses like assault, domestic violence or theft.
Is community supervision effective and what does it cost?
Community Supervision is much more cost effective than a prison sentence or jail term both in monetary cost and in non monetary cost to the community. It allows for offenders to work and care for their families and pay taxes. It also enables them to access resources to help rehabilitate them and lead a productive life. Community based corrections have the greatest impact in reducing crime and effective rehabilitation.
Who can be placed on Community Supervision?
Some offenders, by statute, are ineligible for community supervision. Most individuals can be assisted under community supervision. Who is placed on community supervision is determined by the Judge or jury. Factors such as criminal history and the nature of the offense are often considered.
What is restitution?

Restitution is court ordered monies that the offender has been stipulated to pay back to victim or victims. Most often it is ordered to be paid back in monthly installments. The sentencing court will make a ruling as to whether or not restitution is required to be paid by the offender. When an initial payment for restitution is received by our department, a check will be mailed to the victim's address provided by the District Attorney's Office with an enclosed letter containing contact information for our Restitution Unit. The Restitution Unit or the offender's Community Supervision Officer can assist you with any questions you may have regarding restitution. Occasionally, due to a job loss or other circumstance, the offender will become delinquent in restitution payments.  The supervision officer will make every effort to remedy this situation, which may be resolved by counseling with the offender or may eventually require that the court take additional action.  If a victim does not receive regular payments, he/she may contact the supervision officer for information and assistance.

Should the offender's supervision be revoked, the department no longer has jurisdiction over the offender and restitution can no longer be collected by HCCSCD.  In this instance, the victim is encouraged to contact the Victim Assistance Division of Texas Department of Criminal Justice at 1-800-848-4284.

It is the responsibility of the individuals receiving restitution to notify the HCCSCD Business Office of any changes of address as payments cannot be forwarded. The Business Office can be reached by calling 346-286-5773 or emailing us at:

Who may citizens contact about offenders under community supervision in Harris County?
You may contact any of the region offices listed in the Region Offices page of this site and speak with the Community Supervision Officer. If you know the Region or area of the County the offender lives, it is best to contact that office. It helps to have as much information as possible about the offender such as full name, date of birth, cause number or SPN # (system person number). While the officer may be limited in what information they can share with you it is very helpful to have information from you about an offender.
Who do I contact to report information about a sex offender currently on community supervision?
Harris County Community Supervision and Corrections, Sex Offender Unit 49 San Jacinto, Houston, TX 713-755-2000 or 713-755-2011.
What is the website to check for registered sex offenders in the state of Texas?
Is there a website to answer additional questions about sex offenders?
Who should I contact to report a new sex crime?
Contact your local law enforcement agency. If the victim is a child you can also contact Children's Protective Services at 1-800-252-5400. In case of emergency, call 911 immediately.
Who do you contact if you believe you are owed a refund on your community supervision fees?
Current and former clients may fill out a form, form is found here,and email the request. Clients must provide their name, SPN, case number and mailing address. Staff will review the case and payment information and process any necessary refund.
What should I bring on my first visit?
*Your completed Monthly Report Form
*Conditions of Community Supervision from court
*Pay check stub or job search list (if unemployed)
*Offender ID Card
*Drivers license or state ID
*Auto insurance (on DWI cases, or as ordered)
*Proof of any prescription medications you may be taking if you are required to do drug testing
What happens if I miss my appointment?
Missing an appointment is a violation of your community supervision. If you miss your appointment it is important that you contact your officer as soon as possible. You should make every effort to keep your appointment as your officer has a very busy schedule. It is better to reschedule your appointment, if allowed, beforehand, than to ignore the appointment and face the consequences. If you do not have your payments, report as directed anyway. You don't want to compound any violation by committing another violation.
What is not allowed in the offices?
Weapons of any kind, pepper spray and mace are not allowed in any HCCSCD facility or building. Please silence or turn off any cell phone or paging device. Children should not accompany you and are not allowed at all at the sex offender unit.
Will I be required to leave a drug test when I report? And what type of test is it?
The department utilizes urinalysis testing. Be prepared; it is always wise to wait until after you see your officer before using the restroom facilities in the building. If you are requested to leave a sample be sure and tell the UA monitor/technician if you need more time before the sample can be collected. Do not leave the facility until you have left the requested sample. Make sure you keep your officer apprised of any medications that you are taking.
What is an Offender ID card?
It is a picture ID that lists your name and other identifying information such as the offense for which you are under supervision, as well as your SPN # and Cause Number. It is a standard condition of supervision for all individuals under supervision in Harris County. It is required that you keep this card in your possession at all times.
What is a SPN # or “spin number” and how is it different from my cause number?
Your SPN # is the “system person number." It is a tracking number used only by Harris County. It is unique to you. A cause number is associated with a specific charge. While it is possible to have multiple charges such as Driving While Intoxicated or Theft, each will have its own cause number or “case number," all associated under your SPN#. Your SPN # is the quickest and easiest way for you to be identified when calling one of our offices. It can be found on your Offender ID card.
What is community service?
The Court may order an offender to perform "volunteer" work for a non-profit organization or government agency that has been approved by the HCCSCD.  Based upon the severity of the offense, the amount of time ordered may be up to 1,000 hours for a felony offense and 200 hours for a misdemeanor.
How do I sign up for Community Service and get my Offender ID card?
You are usually directed in court to the Client Support Services Section.  This is located on the 4th floor at 49 San Jacinto, Houston, Texas 77002.  When you report, you will need to have a copy of your Conditions of Supervision and picture identification (example: drivers’ license, student ID, employment ID tag, etc.).
I am on probation for DWI. My conditions of supervision say I need to take an approved alcohol/drug education program within 180 days. What is this?
This is generally referred to as “DWI School” or if it is a second or multiple offense the “DWI repeat offenders class”. These are state mandated curricula required of individuals convicted of driving while intoxicated offenses. They may also be ordered by the court for non DWI offenses if deemed appropriate by the court. The standard 12 hour “DWI School” is offered by HCCSCD as well as outside agencies. The repeat offender curriculum is not offered by HCCSCD. You were probably given referral information in court; if not talk with your officer. More detailed information about the classes is available from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
What is the Texas Drug Offender Education Program (TDOEP)?
It is a state mandated curriculum for individuals convicted of misdemeanor and felony drug offenses. Individuals convicted of drug offenses will automatically have their driver's license suspended for 6 months. In order to reinstate their license they will be required to complete the class. In Deferred Adjudication cases it is often ordered as a condition of supervision but it does not result in the driver’s license suspension. Detailed information is available from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
What is Deferred Adjudication?
It is a type of supervision that if completed successfully will prevent a final conviction from appearing on your record; however, a record of the arrest and the fact that a probated sentence was served still exist. Deferred adjudication is not available for offenders charged with driving while intoxicated and intoxication manslaughter as well as some other types of charges.
Can Deferred Adjudication records be made non-public?
Yes, some types can. For more information on which types are eligible please visit the Texas Judicial Branch website at
How do I determine if my Driver’s License is under suspension?
You should contact the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Driving with a suspended license is a serious law violation. It is your responsibility to see that your driver’s license is valid. Any notice of a suspension will be sent via mail to the address on record with DPS. It is important and also the law that you keep your address up-to-date with DPS.
I am on supervision from another Texas county. I am being supervised in Harris County. How can I contact my originating County?
The Texas Department of Criminal Justice provides a listing of all departments in the state.
What are my “Conditions of Community Supervision” or “conditions of probation?"
They are basically a contract between yourself and the Court that placed you on supervision. Your Community Supervision Officer will help you comply with the conditions. You received a copy of the conditions when you were placed on supervision. Although many offenders are given special conditions of community supervision based upon their needs or their risks to the community, the following are standard conditions of probation as provided by the Code of Criminal Procedures:
1. Commit no offense against the laws of this state or any other state or the United States. 
2. Avoid injurious or vicious habits. (The use of illegal drugs and alcohol.) 
3. Avoid persons or places of disreputable or harmful character. 
4. Report to the Community Supervision & Corrections Department of Harris County, TX immediately following this hearing, and no less than monthly thereafter, or as scheduled by the court and/or the community supervision officer. 
5. Permit the community supervision officer to visit you at your home, place of employment or elsewhere. 
6. Abide by the rules and regulations of the HCCSCD. 
7. Work faithfully at suitable employment and notify the HCCSCD of any changes in your employment status within 48 hours of such change. 
8. Remain within Harris County, Texas or ________ unless the Court or supervision officer authorizes you to leave. 
9.  Support your dependents as required by law. 
10. Submit to random urine specimen analysis. 
11. Pay any fines, fees, or restitution assessed through the HCCSCD.
Who do I contact to register as a sex offender?
Sex offenders are to register with the law enforcement municipality in which they reside.  The main registering agencies in Harris County are Houston Police Department (juvenile victims) 713-731-5890, HPD (adult victims) 713-308-1190, Harris County Sheriff Department 713-967-5703, Pasadena Police Department at 713-475-7807. If you live in an unincorporated are of the county, you are to register with the sheriff's department.
Are you interested in becoming a Community Partner with HCCSCD?
Visit this link to get involved.

Become A Partner

What are your hours of operation and phone information?
See the Office Locations portion of this site for a complete listing of all office hours and phone numbers.
I need to provide my officer with proof I have a GED or High School Diploma but I can’t find mine. Where can I get this information?
For proof of your high school diploma, contact the school district you graduated from and request a copy of your transcripts. GED information for the state of Texas is available on line at this link: This only applies if you got the GED in Texas.
How and where do I make payments?

Credit and Debit Cards are accepted at all locations and online.

Please click here to make an online payment.


Money Orders or Cashier’s check are accepted at all locations and by U.S. Mail.


Make your money order or cashier's check payable to HCCSCD.  Please remember to print your full name and SPN# or CASE# on the money order or cashier's check.  All of the region offices have a cashier where payments can be made.  The cashier at that office will provide a receipt.  If you mail your payment, your officer will provide you with your receipt at your next report date.  Please keep all of your money order receipts or cashiers check stubs for the duration of your probation.

Payments can be mailed to:
49 San Jacinto, suite 610
Houston, TX 77002

Where can I find program information for new referrals to the Harris County Community Supervision and Corrections Department (HCCSCD) Harris County Residential Treatment Center (HCRTC)?
Where can I find answers to questions I may have about a loved one who is participating in the HCCSCD Residential Treatment Center (HCRTC)?